Monday, March 22, 2010

Dummy Blog

This is a dummy blog that I'm using to convert several classic blogspot templates into layouts. I have managed to fully convert one, replaced the templates with mostly generic layouts on three others, and have two more heavily edited templates still to convert.

The first blog I converted was my own regular blog, Bloggity-Blog-Blog-Blog. I started 8 years ago with a template based on tables, then converted it to CSS when I got into a CSS craze a few years later. It isn't perfect in the layouts format, but it's almost as good as it was. The display is wonky on Internet Explorer because Internet Explorer is non-standards-compliant, leading to annoyances that Opera and Firefox have no trouble with. I worked out most of the problems, but it was still a bit of a pain. Sadly, I cannot figure out why the top bar on the sidebar just won't display right in IE no matter what I do. Every fix I've attempted results it more problems.

Once I tackled Bloggity, I started work on Elayne's Blog, which is what I'm working on as of this writing. Hers turned out to be much more of a challenge, and surprisingly more fun. The original tables template was never converted into CSS when I went through that craze, mostly because it cannot be converted. In fact, in order to get it to work in Blogger Layouts, I had to cheat and include remnants of the original tables in order to display the background. This has resulted in really odd margins and such, which I spent a good four hours messing with. But I think I've worked out most of the kinks, and it works on Firefox, Opera, and IE8. I also ran it through IE NetRenderer and it works in IE6 & IE7, but not previous to those. I'm also trying BrowserShots, but it was blocked because I had turned off search engine crawls... whoops! I'm checking the layout now...

After I finish with Elayne's page, my last task is to update the Aquaman page. The blog is embedded in the page, so I have to be VERY careful with the styling. It will be annoying, but hopefully fun as well. At least I know I updated that page to CSS some time ago, so it shouldn't be an impossible task like Elayne's page!

0 comments:

Post a Comment